family pics

While Jordan was in the MTC he gave us the challenge.

"No Empty Chairs"

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

2010 Happenings

Of course we started the year off great with a trip to the Beaver Mts with Jacob, Rachel & the boys before they were married, it was a great get to know you trip. The funny thing was that Jacob duck-taped Teagan into his outfit to keep the snow out...so funny!!!

It has been amazingto get a new daughter & 2 new grandkids. Jacob n Rachel were married Feb 27th. Easton is now 5 & Teagan is almost 2. They are so much fun & add so much to our lives. Rachel is so good for Jacob!!! They are just so cute to watch. They live about 20 minutes away up Cheyenne just past the 215...ya right next to the mt. They have a cute little 3 bedroom 2 & 1/2 bath house. Jacob got a new job as a phone salesman for Bullfrog selling Verizon phone pkgs.

Next big news for our family was that Jen & Jared had baby Gavin on his due date, June 2nd. What a dolly he is!!!! He is now 7 months old, sitting up, crawling & saying da, da among other gurglings. Since they live 6 hours away we enjoy their visits & skype them as much as we can. Jen is back to work as a lab tech & Jared continues to work on creating TraquilMed the device that helps with restless leg syndrome. Grandma tries to go to Provo about once a month to get her Gavin fix.

On a sadder note Marks dad passed away in Jan 2010. We are sure he is enjoying his time with his wife & other family on the other side. Mark was very grateful to all the love that was sent his way during this difficult time.

Also in Jan one of our dear friends husband was deported, leaving behind 4 kids & an expectant wife. As tragedy struck the Velazques family, our family got to witness & be apart of a loving effort to help that wonderful family be reunited in Mexico. We look back on that difficult time with fondness because of the bond of love that we shared. Jayden & Jorge are & will always be great friends & we look forward to the time that we can see them again.

Janea is 18 & a SENIOR!!! All in the same year. She is a most capable young women. She has a tough school schedule & is still ranked #1. She has great study habits & uses prayer before tests & through out her day to give her that upper edge. She LOVES soccer & has been on the Varsity team for ALL 4 years. While she hasn't always had a winning team she has been a winner because she keeps her chin & fight up during the games. This year is a better year for Cheyenne. They have alot of girls with skill & fight. She stays busy during the summer by life guarding for North Las Vegas rec dept. She tans, which none of the rest of us can do. Along with the fact that she loves kids & swimming, it makes a perfect job for her. She knows & loves the Savior & that above all makes her mom extremely happy.

Jayden also loves the Lord & His gospel, also making his mom very happy. He makes great choices with his life & friends. He likes girls, facebook, texting & hanging out with friends in "the cave". Yes he now has the big "teen" bedroom all to himself.
He is Priest Secretary & he often speaks in different wards in the stake, which I must say he does SUCH a GREAT job at, he is quite a natural. He loves to snowboard & loves the cold. With the ski resort re-opening in Beaver, UT, he has found a new place to enjoy his favorite hobby. While there in a blizzard we all got to enjoy a night without power, reading books by flashlight & heating hot cocoa by fire. He is an amazing teenager who has the confidence to share his beliefs with anyone at his high school, ATECH. He & Janea willingly, get up at 5am to be able to go to Semenary M-F. He is especially enjoying it this year as he is maturing.

Although Mark & Patti still have 2 kids at home they suffer from the empty nest syndrome because the kids at home are teens & don't want to leave their social life to go on trips so Mark & Patti had a few chances to get away alone this year. 1st to San Diego May 30th-June 3rd then on to Provo to see that NEWEST Grand baby, Gavin & finally to Disneyland in Dec. Patti thought it wouldn't be fun to go to Disneyland without kids to enjoy it with but soon realized she was with the biggest, longest living kid ever so she had the best time ever!!!! Mark loved it cuz he got all the churos & treats he wanted.

They also had enough hiking hours in to prepare them to hike the Mt Charly peak twice this year. Although it is quite a feat they both know it keeps them young so it is worth the effort. The first hike was through about 15 large patches of snow & the 2nd was in record time for them of 5 hours up & 4 back. Good times!!!

Jared finished his masters at BYU on "An adaptive Grid-based All Hexahedral Meshing Algorithm Based on 2-refinement". Well it's basically a technique that helps scientists figure out how to put mass into the computer so they can test car crashes & other effects on things. I am so amazed that he can think of such things. He used his science brain & made a diaper chute from Gavin's bedroom window to the outside trash. Now that's science!!!

Jordan is serving strong in the San Antonio, TX mission. He is now zone leader & loving the hispanic people. Some of my favorite quotes from him are:

"I never knew God had a plan for the man I'm meant to be. I thought I was just gonna go through life. Get in and get out. I never thought I would be built up, torn down, raised up and beat down. I have been the victim, the felon, the missionary, the victim. I've been the savior, the sinner, the example and the hypocrite. I've given advice and ignored counsel. I've given sermons and ignored seminars. I've lived and died. All to become the man I'm meant to be."

"Mom, I'm working my butt off."

"God truly is preparing the way ahead of me."

"I am about my Fathers business."

"The Lords work is beautiful."

"God lives, He uses ALL, weakness, faults, everything."

"I love these people, I pray for them, I serve them."

"God is pushing me on."

"I will stand with courage n faith."

Jeramy is in a conservation camp just outside of Southern Desert & should be released in July 2012. He is progressing well & working filling orders out of the storage rooms for the cafeteria n such. Sofia started K & so bright. She loves swimming, going to park, playing with friends & jumping in leaves. She is now in a permanent home that her mom is buying.

Most of the family enjoyed a trip to Mission Beach in San Diego where some stayed at an apt on Mission Beach while others stayed at the Hyatt on the Bay. Both places had something great to offer. The Hyatt was great for the exercise room on the Bay, 3 great pools & a Jacuzzi. At the beach Jayden dug a HUGE hole in the sand & tunnels all around it. Alot of kids that were around us got involved as we waited for the tide to destroy his work of art. One of grandmas favorites was running along the surf with Easton & Teagan to chase the birds away. Jacob, Mark & Jayden ran on the beach for a healthy start to their day. Patti & Janea loved shopping along the strandway. Easton & grandma surprised Jacob by decorating the apt for his b-day. Everyone loved the ribeye & fish tacos. The Mormon Battalion in Old Town was extremely well done & it was exciting to find Marks great, great grandfather Dore Purdy Curtis's picture in the records. The kids loved gold panning & sitting on wagon. Although that was fun the candy store in old town took 1st place.

In Oct Mark & 5 friends enjoyed a 5 day deer hunt in the Ruby mts of Northern NV. He considered it an honor to gut Keens deer. You'll have to ask him that story. It is a much needed time to enjoy the outdoors with good friends, good company in his element.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disney pics

All about our family

I thought I'd give an update since I just found some friends on facebook from 20 years ago.

Well to start off the Church is still the center of our lives. I wouldn't have it any other way...well maybe when I was RS Pres & Mark was YM pres...no even then it was the best, too busy to really enjoy it though.

Mark works as the Training Director for the Laborers Union. He is the past president of our neighborhood association & president of our condo association & on about 3 committees for the union. He loves hunting, quading & anything outdoors.

We have 6 children.

Jeramy who is 30 has a wonderful exwife, who I just love. Together they gave me my 1st grandchild.....Sofia. She has us all wrapped. She is 5 1/2 & you can check out her pics on Patti's facebook. She loves to make chocolate chip cookies, go to McDonalds with Graysen & Brinley, swim & go see the horses among other things.

Jeramy is a recovering heron addict. 4 years clean. Hey I don't like skeletons in the closet, they scare me. He is doing good now. He has about 30 college credits, is an amazing artist, is 6'4" & weighs 240. Just think he was a 6 pound baby. This journey of his has been good for me & our whole family to watch as Father in Heaven does His thing. He indeed has a perfect plan even during the times we cry the hardest. I'm a better person for having Jeramy as a son.

Bree is my favorite ex-daughter in law. She works as a sec for a law firm. She is very responsible with her two girls. After their divorce she had another daughter, Darhma. She is soooo cute! I watch both of the girls on Wed & Thurs.

Jared, 26, graduate of BYU in civil engineering & will have his masters finished this Dec. He is married in the Las Vegas Temple to Jen, a girl who is near & dear to my heart. She is such a doll. They are such a gentle, compatible couple. If you want to see cooperative...watch them. It makes me a better person being around them. Right now they live in Provo until he is done with his master. They just bought a condo & go to a family ward now.

Jen also graduated from BYU in Clinical Lab Science, she works for Intermountain Healthcare as a Medical Technologist. She works 7-10s & then has 7 days off. I am so pleased that Jared has Jen for his wife. I love having another daughter!!! She is pregnant, due in June 2010. Janea & I have had fun taking her shopping for maternity clothes.

Jacob 25 who went on a mission in OK, where he said it's the largest trailer park in the world. He said it was the million dollar experience he wouldn't pay a nickel to do again. I admire the sacrifice of these 19-26 year old boys for doing the un-ordinary thing they do. I mean what 19 year old leaves the world behind to serve their God like they do? Amazing! He is now the Assistant 11yr old leader. He works for Help of SN, helping people qualify for government $.

He married a darling gal, Rachel, on Feb 27, 2010. She brought into our family two wonderful boys...1 yr old Teagan & 4 yr old Easton. They live with us right now & we just love it. It is giving us a chance to get to know them all better. I must say that I fell in love with them right away.

Jordan 18, left his mission on Sept 23 to the San Antonio, TX, spanish speaking mission. He graduated from the College of Southern Nevada High School with 40 college credits. He loves the film industry. He took a bunch of classes in film. It will be interesting to see what he does later in life in film.

Janea 17, is a lifegaurd at Silver Mesa public pool during the summer. She is the one who keeps me on track when I want to break the mission rules & call or go see my boys. She's a fun & happy girl. She is an amazing student, soccer player, orator, writer, the list can go on forever! She is amazing!

Jayden is 14 & has grown 4 inches or more this year. He is taller than me, which I know isn't hard to do. I am so glad that he is going to A-TECH like his brother Jared & is doing the law program. He is also a fun & happy kid.

We all love going to our condo in the Beaver mts at Elk Meadows for long weekends to quad, paddleboat, or just pick wild flowers. In the winter we love to build snowmen, make snow forts, tube just outside our door & snowboard at Brian Head. With Mark in our family we laugh alot & the high points in my life is when we are all together.

Having 5 boys has entrenched us in the Scouting program. 4 of our boys are Eagles & Jayden is on his way. Mark, Janea & I worked on a Cub Scout Day camp for the past 5 years. It is the funnest hard work we have done.

The bitter/sweet part of my life is when our children grow up & not live here. Of course as I'm getting older there is no way I could do 15 loads of laundry, cook for 8 people & deal with the big family chores. Then at the same time I miss everyone soooooo much. Of course I like a few hours of peace & quiet but all the time, that's hard. I had my kids to love & enjoy them. I'm grateful for memories.